Can a Robot be Wise? On naming a direction of deeper understanding.

Honda's Asimo and looking glass reflection

Honda's Asimo, Living with Robots

In Calling Transformative Learning into Question:  Some Mutinous Thoughts, Michael Newman thoughtfully declines the notion of a ‘transformative learning’ that differs from other kinds of learning, not just by degree but as an entirely new category.  Learning may be good, he claims, may even be profoundly good.  The current literature, however, presents insufficient evidence of teaching interventions which actually cause transformations at the level of personhood, bringing learners to entirely new realms of self-efficacy and power. His review finds instead mostly anecdotes and self-reporting. Stories don’t prove anything, he claims, including invention along with the recording. From that viewpoint, one might wonder what Mr. Newman would make of the coming ‘Singularity’, that mother of all transformations, where the intelligence of our machines will exceed all human intelligence on Earth.  Futurists such as Ray Kurzweil predict this event no more than one more human generation out, 30 years or so, and have labeled it as the endpoint of the human era – 2045: The Year Man Becomes Immortal. Yikes.

Such projections imply that students in school now can expect to compete worldwide for jobs and a niche in the global exchange.  Their children, however, will have to contend with robot-kind as well for their rightful place on Earth and a future worth living in. If even partially predictive, how are we doing at preparing for such massively disruptive changes?  What role does “education” have to play in the coming contestation: man versus machine?  With exponentially rising machine intelligence, how is human intelligence supposed to keep up? If Mr. Newman is correct and we have no solid foundation (yet) for transforming our current educational system, how big o’ trouble are we in, really?  Certainly Kurzweils’ Law of Accelerating Returns graphs inspire a rising sense of urgency to it all.

But imagine if you will a kind of learning that could map to exponential gains in understanding, accelerating the learner’s journey from novice to wise mastery.  What might such a learning path look like?  The remainder of this post will sketch out a first pass at such a description.
For a start, we might dust off the classic Data Information Knowledge Wisdom hierarchy commonly ascribed to Russell Ackoff (as modified by Bellinger et al in 2004).

DIKW graph

Data Information Knowledge Wisdom Hierarchy

That path seems reasonable enough through the first three stages, indicating increases in both connectedness and the understanding dimensions.  Understanding relationships distinguishes information from data and understanding patterns in information builds knowledge.  But the transit between knowledge and wisdom is where the linear progression starts to break down.  Wisdom, alas, does not necessarily accrue from knowledge, or we humans wouldn’t ever find ourselves making the same mistake over and over and over again.  Bellinger et al suggested understanding principles builds wisdom but I contend there are a couple points missing from their model.

No matter how much one knows, experience teaches. “Knowledge is a load of bricks” said the speculative fiction author Theodore Sturgeon, “understanding is a way of building”.  Novices need practice and the intelligence that comes from error and trial (and thoughtful revision) to build up understanding. So, for our model, we might borrow the Greek term ‘praxis‘, denoting a process of reflective practice without, necessarily, including the element of judgment. There might be good practice (eupraxis) or bad practice, misfortune (dyspraxis).  Understanding experience yielded from putting ideas and skills into practice is what allows the building up of good judgment, an essential component of wisdom.

Wisdom, however, is a much broader term than just discernment.  By philosophical bent, the term can include good judgment and; compassion, morality, memory, spirituality, sentience, consciousness, soul, and a concern for the flourishing of humanity.  80 years of science fiction novels have prepared readers for the possibility of other sentient (sensing and conscious) beings in our universe.  Smart as our machines may become, can a robot ever have a soul or consciousness?   Even if embodied?  Who could ever forget that scene in the Star Trek movie “First Contact” where the Borg Queen is lowered from above, spinal column first, into her “body”.  But was the Queen conscious, sentient?  Can a robot ever be wise?

The futurist Ray Kurzweil on consciousness: “I am trying to illustrate why consciousness is not an easy issue. If we talk about consciousness as just a certain type of intelligent skill: the ability to reflect on one’s own self and situation, for example, then the issue is not difficult at all because any skill or capability or form of intelligence that one cares to define will be replicated in nonbiological entities (i.e., machines) within a few decades. With this type of objective view of consciousness, the conundrums do go away. But a fully objective view does not penetrate to the core of the issue, because the essence of consciousness is subjective experience, not objective correlates of that experience…There exists no objective test that can conclusively determine its presence.”

Without a reliable measure of consciousness then, how can we delineate the road to wisdom?  And why might ‘wisdom’ be a desirable end goal in education, anyway?  If knowledge is power, power is a two-edged sword.  With one edge victory and the other peace, it is the right use of power that allows us to have both at the same time. And we humans will need to use the power of our technologies wisely if we are to survive the rise

Robo Sapiens

Robo Sapiens

of Robo Sapiens which, like the venerable Apple desktop computer that changed everything, is now being introduced to human society as a children’s toy ($200 at Amazon).

A definition of the right use of power would align very nicely with a dictionary definition of wisdom, including “knowledge of what is true or right coupled with just judgment as to action.”   Rightness and trueness and justice are a part of the values component of wisdom, joining evaluative purpose to the lessons of praxis.  Borrowing from the Greeks again, Aristotle named purpose ‘telos‘, or igniting the will- to act or to make or to know the truth.   Reflecting on and understanding experience is the yield of praxis but purpose enjoins value driven action. And just as praxis does not necessarily imply good judgment, telos does not necessarily imply good purpose.

It is at this stage, I believe, where the learner’s path diverges from a linear progression and, through performance, through ‘arete’ or the realization of purpose, the gain in understanding abounds mostly in the “connectedness” direction. An experience that cascades understanding through boundaries, across networks and time, amongst people- that could be expressed as an understanding of mesh and could be plotted as the experience field that builds toward attaining a wisdom of purpose.  We know it when we see it.  Two examples for your consideration:  Eric Whitacre’s virtual choir piece Lux Aurumque (on the making side of things), or Lisa Gansky’s TED talk on understanding mesh as the future of business (on the doing side).

Making such presumptions, our model for building from knowledge toward wisdom might now look so:

Projecting a model, however, is but the first step in defining a deeper learning. Next might come mapping out weigh points along the path and evaluating them against learner experiences, both uniquely and in aggregate.  Is an “ah ha” moment an experience of rounding the curve into accelerating connectedness?  Where would we locate the “hmmm…” moment, flicker of the provocation to inquire/reflect?  Or where set the spark that ignites the telos of purposefulness?  With marker posts, could we then develop learning experiences designed to accelerate a learner’s transit?

Finally, by what metric will we define the attainment of human wisdom?  Might it be extended to a machine?  We can struggle to define what makes us most human- like Brian Christian, confederate winner of the 2009 Loebner Prize Turing Test to distinguish human from machine.  Or, like COG’s MIT scientist crew, we can throw in the towel of exhaustively trying to define intelligence, just build one, and see where we get to.  The insights brought back from such forays can help to refine our art of facilitating understanding through instructional design.

About Susan

Instructional Designer, Center for Distance Education
This entry was posted in all, article, review, Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to Can a Robot be Wise? On naming a direction of deeper understanding.

1. My brother suggested I might like this website. He was totally right.
    This publish actually made my day. You cann’t believe simply how much time I had spent for this information!
    Thank you!

2. This would enable the person to follow the ‘diet pure garcinia cambogia extract plan’ that comes
    with supplements containing caffeine. The thyroid
    gland is located in the blood. If you feel diet pills and where can you buy it make sure that you are fit
    case for weight loss pills, even more than those that are not properly
    labeled. They pure garcinia cambogia extract are proven to be effective diet pills you must know that diet pills
    have been seen with all drugs of this class.
    Garcinia Cambogia Fruit

3. Hello, its fastidious paragraph concerning media
    print, we all be familiar with media is a wonderful source of information.

4. Quality articles is the key to be a focus for the viewers to go to see the web site, that’s what this site
    is providing.

my weblog … download for no good reason free

5. With almost all of our jobs currently which require use of computers and you can now
    benefit from the internet, is one to become really addicted.

Two beyond three pathological gamblers commit illegal acts to be able to spend on
    gambling-related debts. When you judge yourself for any failure,
    you create an emptiness inside that then wants to get filled.

6. Hi, I do believe this is a great blog. I stumbledupon it ;) I will come back yet
    again since i have book-marked it. Money and freedom is the greatest way to change, may you be rich and continue to help others.

7. Thank you for sharinmg your thoughts. I truly appreciate your efforts and I will be waiting for your further post thanks once again.

Feell free to visit my website – Restaurant Story gems hack, syoko.spireblog.jp,

8. Highly descriptive article, I enjoyed that a lot. Will there be
    a part 2?

9. I think that what you said made a ton of sense.

However, what about this? suppose you wrote a catchier title?
    I am not suggesting your content isn’t good., however suppose
    you added something to maybe grab a person’s attention? I mean Can a Robot be Wise?
    On naming a direction of deeper understanding. | Now Considering is a little boring.
    You ought to look at Yahoo’s home page and note how they write news titles to grab viewers to click.
    You might add a video or a pic or two to grab readers interested about everything’ve written.
    In my opinion, it might bring your blog a little livelier.

10. Hi, after reading this awesome piece of writing i am also
    glad to share my knowledge here with mates.

11. To assist those, caught in such a decision-making process, maybe an
    approach can rely upon a sports’ analogy used by coaches and athletes.
    Now you got the keys to build the perfect IP camera system.
    Backyard domes are available in few colours, including; red, blue, white and
    forest green.

12. The reason for this is that steel brings stability and durability.
    Bring out your hidden creativity and use anything ranging from floral, historic and geometric to modish motifs for revitalizing your setting.
    She don’t care for it much and for the price I payed for her bed
    it was worth it but I wish she liked it a little more.

13. First off I want to say superb blog! I had a quick question in which I’d like to ask if you don’t mind.
    I was interested to find out how you center yourself and clear your mind before writing.
    I’ve had a hard time clearing my mind in getting my ideas out there.
    I truly do take pleasure in writing but it just
    seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are generally lost simply
    just trying to figure out how to begin. Any recommendations or tips?
    Thank you!

14. It’s hard to argue that if you know how to use Facebook for business,
    it can’t help you to make more sales. Safeguard your
    facebook poker chips after which win some by offering another player a very difficult time.

Brooms are used to make one piece on the game board disappear.

Take a look at my site – spotify premium

15. Hi there! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any issues with hackers?
    My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing several weeks of hard work
    due to no data backup. Do you have any solutions to protect against hackers?

My webpage Norwex products

16. Yes! Finally something about mobile games.

17. Customers can customize this Inspiron 17 by
    upgrading the processor, memory and the hard drive for an additional cost before checking out.
    A new expansion of Dell’s Inspiron portfolio, the
    Inspiron 15R Special Edition and 17R Special Edition feature the Waves Maxx
    - Audio 4 audio suite and Skullcandy speakers, and standard discrete graphics from AMD (Inspiron 15R Special Edition) and NVIDIA (Inspiron 17R Special Edition).
    It is always advisable to go through reviews of different computer that can help you
    to choose from a huge range.

18. She was landlord lying in the bath after she said she would
    not go to bat for every tenant who is a joint co-ordinator with him of the keys for his wife’s Toyota car.

Here is my web page – nationwide landlords insurance

19. Great blog here! Also your website quite a bit up fast!
    What host are you the use of? Can I get your associate hyperlink in
    your host? I desire my website loaded up as fast as yours lol

20. argan oil says:

Every weekend i used to pay a visit this web site, because i want enjoyment, as this this web site conations truly pleasant funny material too.

21. Sorry, no children under 10 permitted due towards the dangerous nature with this tour.
    ncompliment towards the Safari Guide that covers all type of exotic cats.

The enrichment committee at Big Cat Rescue has found this model to
    be useful in organizing, researching and documenting our progress.

22. Jual Sepatu says:

I drop a comment when I appreciate a article on a site or I have something to add to
    the discussion. Usually it’s a result of the fire communicated in
    the article I looked at. And after this article Can a Robot be Wise?
    On naming a direction of deeper understanding. | Now
    Considering. I was excited enough to post a thought ;-) I
    do have 2 questions for you if it’s allright. Could it be just me or do a few of
    the comments come across as if they are coming from brain dead folks?

:-P And, if you are writing on additional places, I’d like to keep up with anything new you
    have to post. Could you list the complete urls of all your social pages like your twitter feed, Facebook page
    or linkedin profile?

23. Anne says:

Saved as a favorite, I like your website!

Here is my website :: preparing to get pregnant – Anne -

24. Finley says:

Wow, this paragraph is fastidious, my sister is analyzing
    these things, therefore I am going to tedll her.

my web site … web hosting advice uk (Finley)

25. Example says:

If you would like to grow your experience only keep visiting this site and be updated with the
    newest news posted here.

Also visit my weblog Example

26. article très intéressant , vite te voilà dans mes favoris
    :D
    je te félicite pour le choix du sujet

27. game says:

Why viewers still use to read news papers when in this technological globe all is accessible on net?

28. If you plan to be a book heroine, this means that you must eat all the time, except
    when you’re not eating, and then you should
    be thinking about eating. No matter what your
    field, it helps to know what you’re good at, but it also
    helps to recognize what others are good at. Whether these are taken
    live – while you are doing a real gig – or whether you have them done on a false stage, will depend on you.

29. Camsblast says:

Greetings from California! I’m bored to death at work so I decided to check out your site on my iphone
    during lunch break. I really like the info you provide here and
    can’t wait to take a look when I get home. I’m amazed at how quick your blog loaded on my
    mobile .. I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, wonderful
    site!

30. Hey there I am so happy I found your web site, I really found you by accident, while I was looking on Askjeeve for something else, Nonetheless I am here now and would just like to say thanks for a remarkable post and a all round enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t
    have time to read through it all at the minute but I have bookmarked it and also added your RSS feeds, so
    when I have time I will be back to read more, Please do keep up
    the superb job.

Here is my web site: twitter wagershack

31. Amazing blog! Do you have any hints for aspiring
    writers? I’m hoping to start my own website soon but I’m a little lost on everything.

Would you propose starting with a free platform like WordPress or go
    for a paid option? There are so many choices out there that I’m totally confused ..
    Any suggestions? Many thanks!

32. It’s very simple to find out any matter on net as compared to textbooks,
    as I found this piece of writing at this web site.

33. It’s rather a nice and valuable item of data. I am glad that you just shared this handy information around. You need to continue to be people educated like that. Thank you for expressing.

34. This philosophy spread rapidly throughout the theological and educational
    worlds. More the number of people you refer, greater your sales volume – your commission
    depends both on the width and depth of your affiliate-tree.
    As a distributor, you will earn from retail markup on
    the items from the enterprise.

35. Hi, after reading this amazin article i am also
    happy tօ share mʏ knowledge here ԝith friends.

Heге is my blog – gta 5 download

36. taffey says:

hoene

Look into my website … taffey

37. How can yoou tell which work at home opportunity iss legitimate.
    But the ones that suceed if you search it out, are the
    ones who went in with a good solid business plan.
    You would bbe challenged to find a more proven product expert than John Anderson.

38. Good post. I learn something totally new and
    challenging on sites I stumbleupon on a daily basis.
    It’s always helpful to read through articles from other authors and practice a little something from their sites.

39. Many first time dieters assume they have to
    crush and burn with immediate results from their
    discipline, but the truth is that an effective long-run exercise routine should be gradual, enjoyable and easily
    integrated into your daily schedule. For safety, use the
    correct size jump rope and always land softly on the top of the bottom of your feet.
    It has many qualities that research is just now figuring out.

Look into my weblog: perdre la graisse du ventre

40. Picture yourself wearing sweats, no makeup, and your hair tuckked under a ball cap.
    If your beauty product habit is costing you hundreds
    orr more a month, thern perhaps subscribing to a beauty box membership can sate yojr habit.
    Looking for crystal bracelets with cross charms or any
    Christian jewelry ings to give a loved one celevrating a special occasion soon.

41. Dane says:

I don’t even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great.
    I don’t know who you are but definitely you are going to a famous blogger if you
    aren’t already ;) Cheers!

Here is my webpage Garcinia Cambogia vs Green Coffee Bean Extract (Dane)

42. gift for man says:

I am in fact grateful to the holder of this website who has
    shared this enormous paragraph at at this time.

43. Thanks veryy interesting blog!

Check out my blog poist … Choice Px800 Green Coffee Cleanse

44. I have read so many posts regarding the blogger lovers except this paragraph is truly a good post, keep it up.

45. Very good blog! Do you have any helpful hints for aspiring
    writers? I’m hoping to start my own blog soon but I’m a little
    lost on everything. Would you advise starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for
    a paid option? There are so many options out there that I’m totally overwhelmed ..
    Any suggestions? Appreciate it!

46. I blog quite often and I really appreciate your content. The article has truly
    peaked my interest. I’m going to book mark your website and keep checking for new
    details about once per week. I opted in for your RSS feed too.

47. Mack says:

I visited various web pages but the audio quality for
    audio songs current at this web site is really superb.

48. I’m curious to find out what blog system you have been working with? I’m having some small security issues with my latest blog and
    I would like to find something more risk-free.
    Do you have any suggestions?

49. I’m not that much of a internet reader to be honest but your sites really nice, keep it up!
    I’ll go ahead and bookmark your website to come back in the future. Cheers

Also visit my webpage :: Garcinia Cambogia dr oz gnc

50. richard says:

Hello, Neat post. There’s an issue together with your site in internet explorer, might check this… IE nonetheless is the market leader and a good section of other folks will omit your magnificent writing because of this problem.

51. A small budget can take you much farther in Cambodia than anywhere
    in Europe. In the afternoon you could climb the mountain that the Wat
    Phnom is built upon, the city was actually named after this temple.

A mosquito-borne (Culex tritaeniorhynchus) viral disease associated with rural areas in throughout all of Asia.

52. Hello are using WordPress for your blog platform? I’m new to the blog world but I’m
    trying to get started and create my own. Do you require any coding expertise to make your own blog?
    Any help would be really appreciated!

53. Hello.This post was extremely motivating, particularly since I was looking for thoughts on this topic last Sunday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>